The Student News Site of Proviso East High School

Pirate News

Pirate News

Pirate News

Survey: Favorite Christmas Movie & Song

272 Students Voted
Fischer, Brian
272 Students Voted

Christmas is widely celebrated around the world. This special holiday brings the opportunity to share a festive spirit with loved ones and reminds us of the importance of family and friendship. Here at Proviso East High School, students were asked to take a survey to determine their favorite Christmas movie and song. 272 students responded to the survey.

40% of students picked “Home Alone” as their favorite movie, featuring the then child star Macaulay Culkin. There is a sequel to the movie, called “Home Alone 2: Lost in New York”, but students have picked the internationally famous original movie!  

The second most voted movie was “Nightmare Before Christmas”. 17% of students picked this half-Halloween, half-Christmas movie. The majority of students believe that the animated movie could be put in either the Halloween or Christmas category.  

The third top picked Christmas movie that students chose was “How the Grinch Stole Christmas”–a true classic! The first Grinch movie was released in 1966 and has been a favorite ever since. Many students have stated that every time the movie comes on, they cannot help but watch it with family! 

In addition to picking their favorite Christmas movie, students also were asked to pick their favorite Christmas song! There were 3 options: “All I Want for Christmas Is You” by Mariah Carey; “Jingle Bell Rock” by Bobby Helms; and lastly, “Santa Is Coming to Town” by the Jackson 5. 

48% of students picked the iconic Mariah Carey’s “All I Want for Christmas is You” that was released back in 1994 and is still played all around the world to this day!  

The second most picked Christmas song was “Santa Is Coming to Town” by the Jackson 5 with 24% of students choosing this song by the famous brothers! Many artists have covered this popular song to bring a festive spirit to Christmas. 

Lastly, the song “Jingle Bell Rock” by the famous singer Bobby Helms was picked by 24% of students and is generally played when celebrating the holidays. Many singers like Brenda Lee have covered the Helms’ famed merry song. 

At Proviso East, this survey shows that many students still hang on to their Christmas spirit. Regardless of their age, many students celebrate the holidays with their loved ones and listen to their favorite Christmas songs and watch their favorite Christmas movies to pass the time.  

Favorite Christmas movie: 109 (40%) chose “Home Alone”.

Chosen from three options, favorite Christmas song:

• “All I Want For Christmas Is You!” By Mariah Carey (132 votes)

• “Jingle Bell Rock” By Bobby Helms (64 votes)

• “Santa Is Coming To Town” By Jackson 5 (76 votes)