Seeking Help with Mental Health Struggles

Submitted photo

Proviso East has it’s own center for student mental health in room 86.

When you think about it, mental health is just as important as your physical health because depression increases the risk for different types of physical health problems. These problems include diabetes, heart disease, and stroke, which are all serious illnesses that poor mental health can contribute to. 

According to the Centers for Disease Control, “Mental health includes our emotional, psychological, and social well-being. It affects how we think, feel, and act. Mental health also helps determine how people handle stress, relate to others, and make healthy decisions. Mental health is very important at every stage of life, from childhood and adolescence through adulthood.”  

Everyone may not struggle with mental health problems, but it’s still important to learn about it and be educated about what’s going on in your head. Some people believe that mental health isn’t important or is something that doesn’t need to be focused on. But mental health is very important, and we can also benefit from learning about it. According to the Canadian Mental Health Association, “When we are mentally healthy, we enjoy our life and environment, and the people in it. We can be creative, learn, try new things, and take risks. We are better able to cope with difficult times in our personal and professional lives.”

When you are a student in school, you might have a lot of things going on. And depending on the situation, that might have an impact on your mental health. But as a student it is always important to know the signs of depression and other mental health conditions, so that you can get the proper treatment so that you can feel better.   

According to the National Council for Mental Wellbeing, mental health issues could start in young teens and develop all the way until early adulthood. “Half of all mental disorders begin by age 14 and three-quarters by age 24. In the United States, only 41 percent of the people who had a mental disorder in the past year received professional health care or other services.”  

According to senior Jayla Anders, “I think mental health is very important because if someone is in a bad mindset and isn’t happy, how would they have any motivation to keep going? Parents now definitely don’t take the time out to understand how important their kid’s mental health is.”  

Some parents don’t understand the importance of mental health. That can be a problem because our parents are supposed to be here to support us and help us whenever we have issues. Sometimes in situations like this, a parent’s lack of understanding can affect our mental health and possibly make things worse. 

So, in conclusion, mental health is important. Understanding and receiving proper treatment if you’re having problems with your mental health is also important because without treatment, or just someone to talk to at least, you aren’t going to get better. 

From the Editors: 

Proviso East offers support in the building. Please reach out to your assigned social worker listed below if you are in need of help. 

Grade 9: Derian Aguirre – Room 105 

Grade 10: Carol Murchison – Room 125 

Grade 11: Amy Santino – Room 101 

Grade 12: Hannah McCarthy – Room 138 

Diverse Learners: Mandy Ross 

If you are a student and need immediate social-emotional support, go to support4u.live and click on your school icon to text anonymously with a mental health professional. You can also text 1-844-670-5838. 

If you or a loved one are having a life-threatening mental health emergency, please call 911 or visit your nearest emergency room. 

If you or a loved one are having thoughts of suicide, call the Suicide and Crisis Hotline at 988.