The Student News Site of Proviso East High School

Pirate News

Pirate News

Pirate News

Hidden Gems: Proviso East Clubs

Start Planning for Next Year

Have you ever been interested in joining any clubs? Proviso East offers over thirty different clubs. Whether you are looking for education, entertainment, music, or even a place where you can grow, Proviso has it. Now is the time start planning for next year.

Club benefits

If you are looking forward to going to college a club would stand out in a college transcript.  

It shows commitment, leadership, and activeness within one. This is something all colleges look for in a student. According to “quadeducationgroup.com” most students who participated in 2-3 clubs during high school got accepted or considered into an IVY league school. 

Moreover, the biggest benefit one gets from joining a club is enriching themselves by getting to know and learn from different people’s points of view. It helps you communicate, which opens doors to feeling comfortable in any environment because you learn from new points of view. 

Educational clubs 

Proviso East offers over ten clubs leaning into education. Take for instance African American Club (ran by Mrs. Short in room 243). No matter your race everyone is welcome. Mrs. Short looks forward to making an impact on students by explaining how we are all connected as humans. You can learn the different paths our ancestors chose and how this makes a huge cultural difference today. 

The Genealogy Club, run by Ms. Piemonte, is a club that follows a similar concept of evolution. It is linked with finding yourself through your ancestors.  

Ecology club focuses on the environment. It takes place every Monday, Mrs. McElhatton if you are interested in growing plants and learning about the environment and even taking a career path within that field, this would be your club. They also get to experiment with their own community garden located on the south side of the school. 

We have more clubs within this field. Whether you are trying to improve your cooking skills in culinary or learn about the human body in medical club, we are looking for people who are interested in contributing with these clubs.  

This is just a grain of  the many clubs we have in the education group. Similar clubs are linked in the space below. 

CHART

Entertainment 

If entertainment is your cup of tea, these would be the clubs most recommended for you. 

Anime, Art, Gamers, and chess club are all clubs that could open doors for you in the future. Whether you want to design your own game, become an artist, or even socialize with people who have the same interest, these clubs have what you are looking for. 

Mr. Appleman is not only a math teacher he is also the sponsor for the anime club. If you like to watch anime or want to learn about it, this is a fantastic opportunity for you. His club runs every Wednesday from 3:30-5:30 pm. 

If you want to show your artistic side, the Art club is what you are looking for. It is run by Ms. Kim in room 166 from 3.30pm -4.30pm every Wednesday. Try it out and experience Proviso art for yourself. 

CHART

Music 

You do not have to know music to participate in a music club. If you enjoy music, consider any of these clubs. 

Band is a fantastic opportunity for you to learn music. You can learn anything from the trumpet to the trombone. It is a great opportunity to earn scholarships, experience, and leadership. 

Similar clubs would be PYT’S Band, Choir, and Intramural Club 

Usually, the Pirateers or cheerleaders perform to music at school sporting events. So, if you want to go out and support your school join the Pirateers or the cheerleaders. 

CHART

Service Oriented 

School based programs would be any program which falls into collaborating with your school specifically. 

Take for example the classes of 2024-2027. These are clubs who focus on growing as a grade level from the start of your high school experience till the end. They do concession stands, raise money for graduation, and more. No matter what grade you are in it is never too late to join. 

Proviso East also has a newspaper club which is run every Wednesday by Mr. Fischer. It is a fantastic opportunity to practice on your writing but to also tell a story. No matter if it is informational, entertaining, or even argumentative we have a whole community that would be intrigued to read your articles. 

CHART

Additional Clubs  

Weather you are looking for new rising clubs like student fellowship which  discusses different aspects of religion or beliefs or even if you want to join a discussion group like torch they are all great options. 

These clubs below may not fit the other categories, but they all bring along with them a unique experience for you. 

CHART