The Student News Site of Proviso East High School

Pirate News

Pirate News

Pirate News

Should schools ban students from using phones in class?

Smart phones are a big part of student’s life. According to Hilite, the student newspaper of Carmel High School in Indiana, 95% of students bring their phones to class every day, and 92% of students use their phones to text on it during class time.

10% of students said they use their phones during an exam. According to Hilite almost 70% of high school students and 25% of middle school students have their own phone and use them daily.

Most high school students sent and received messages while in the middle of a class lesson.

Me personally, I think schools shouldn’t ban students from having their phone in class, but they should stop students from using them in class.

Some people think school should ban phones because it can affect kids and it can be a distraction in class to some students.

That may be true that cell phones can be a distraction to some students but if an emergency happens, the students have to call home to tell their parents.

Cellphones are also the reason why students can go to school and back home from school. If students can’t bring their phone to school, how are they supposed to make it home?

Some students probably aren’t going to feel comfortable turning their phone in every day and it might cause problems around the school.

So, if schools decide to ban phones it’s going to cause problems because some of the students’ parents might come up to the school or students are going to start protesting and it going to be hard for other kids to learn.

That’s too much for some schools to handle. They must make a change so other kids can learn. If that stops other kids from learning their parents might take them out the school.

If all the students who want to learn leave, the test scores might drop and if that happens teachers’ jobs can be in danger.

Another reason why I think schools shouldn’t ban phones is because all students don’t have a computer and most of the work teachers give out is online. So then the students who don’t have a computer can do the work off their phone.

If some students don’t have a computer and they can’t use their phone, they aren’t going to be able to turn their work in.

That’s why I think schools shouldn’t ban phones.